Armageddon duel academy
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

where duelists of all levels gather

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Latest topics
» Need more people to post but dropping this here
MorphGuy1000: Combating the Meta EmptySun Jul 10, 2016 12:19 am by dark magician 85

» Let's try to revive this academy
MorphGuy1000: Combating the Meta EmptySat May 16, 2015 11:56 pm by TianS

» DUEL CHALLENGE
MorphGuy1000: Combating the Meta EmptyWed Jun 18, 2014 6:07 am by bnds3

» Lets start a deck thread
MorphGuy1000: Combating the Meta EmptyWed Jun 18, 2014 6:07 am by bnds3

» Thinking of leaving
MorphGuy1000: Combating the Meta EmptySat May 31, 2014 3:17 pm by alexander567g

» goodbye guys...
MorphGuy1000: Combating the Meta EmptySat May 31, 2014 3:06 pm by alexander567g

» Could I test?
MorphGuy1000: Combating the Meta EmptyFri May 30, 2014 5:14 am by Althalus77

» Playofffs!!!!
MorphGuy1000: Combating the Meta EmptyWed May 07, 2014 4:03 pm by alexander567g

» Members i defeated allowed in sig?
MorphGuy1000: Combating the Meta EmptyTue May 06, 2014 6:40 pm by alexander567g

Who is online?
In total there are 8 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 8 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 119 on Thu Dec 28, 2017 3:22 am
Top posters
*Judgment Dragon*
MorphGuy1000: Combating the Meta Vote_lcapMorphGuy1000: Combating the Meta Voting_barMorphGuy1000: Combating the Meta Vote_rcap 
kompella
MorphGuy1000: Combating the Meta Vote_lcapMorphGuy1000: Combating the Meta Voting_barMorphGuy1000: Combating the Meta Vote_rcap 
Aakash
dark magician 85
jackachu 100
Skies
Deces Rivendare
Azure Berserk
The amazing nigga yo
Faggit Dick Muncher
Visitors
jsp and php counter
Get Visitors Count
Card of the Week
free forum

ADA Chat

MorphGuy1000: Combating the Meta

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
MorphGuy1000
Teacher
Teacher
MorphGuy1000

DN name : MorphGuy1000
ADA Points : 62

MorphGuy1000: Combating the Meta Empty
PostSubject: MorphGuy1000: Combating the Meta   MorphGuy1000: Combating the Meta EmptyThu Jun 06, 2013 10:07 am

Hey everybody! Like I said in an earlier post, I wanted to write a few YGO articles for the academy, so I might as well start now...yeah...XD

Anyways, I hope (time permitting) to be able to write one once per week, so stay tuned for future articles! For the meantime, however, I'd like to discuss the current format and the meta that we're playing in as of right now.

Undoubtedly, the top four decks of the format right now (in the TCG, anyways; the OCG is rather different) are Dragon Rulers (aka E-Drags, both terms mean the same thing), Spellbooks (aka Prophecy), Tidal Mono Mermails, and Evilswarms. Another fact is that Dragon Rulers and Spellbooks are undoubtedly better and faster than Tidal Mono Mermails and Evilswarms, primarily because of their consistency through cards such as "Super Rejuvenation" and "Spellbook of Judgment", not to mention the Baby Dragons and Spellbook of Secrets. The hands that these two decks get greatly outclass the majority of the hands that other decks open up with. In other words, the consistency that these two decks have arguably makes them shine more than other decks. After gathering loads of resources, these decks can then go ape-shit on you in the span of just a few turns.

Tidal Mono Mermails, in my opinion, don't really need much of an introduction. The deck is relatively the same as it was pre-LTGY, but with the release of Tidal and Stream, the deck just gets more consistency in flushing out (that pun lol) Rank 7 XYZ monsters. Other than that, not much has changed.

Evilswarms, on the other hand, are sort of like Dino Rabbit 2.0. Ophion is arguably somewhat better than Laggia/Dolkka this format because of its effect that prevents Level 5+ monsters from being Summoned, so as long as you can protect Ophion and play smartly, you should easily win games against Dragon Rulers and Spellbooks. Let me say that again: the aim of this deck is literally "PROTECT OPHION". If you do so, you will usually win with ease.

But enough about the meta; let's say they're just not your cup of tea. In that case, how exactly do we combat these new decks? Well, there are numerous ways, and I'll give you just a quick rundown of my favorites against those four decks. By no means is this a complete list; there are probably other cards that could be included here that I may have either forgotten or don't know about.

Anyways, without further adieu, here's my list of cards that you can use effectively against each matchup, whether in your Main, Extra, or Side Deck.

Dragon Rulers:

Mind Drain
Soul Drain
Imperial Iron Wall
Gozen Match
Rivalry of Warlords
Maxx "C"

Spellbooks:

Eradicator Epidemic Virus
Thunder King Rai-Oh
Droll and Lock Bird (be careful when using this though, because it could screw you up as well)
Naturia Beast
Deck Lockdown
Anti-Spell Fragrance
Cursed Seal of the Forbidden Spell

Tidal Mono Mermails:

Soul Drain
Macro Cosmos
Dimensional Fissure
Banisher of the Radiance
The End of Anubis
Maxx "C"

(Side Note: Banisher and Anubis aren't necessarily as viable as they used to be, but they're still decent cards against the deck.)

Evilswarms:

Snowman Eater
Ryko, Lightsworn Hunter
Morphing Jar #2
Compulsory Evacuation Device (use it in the End Phase after the Evilswarm player sets their Pandemic, and you'll net quite a reasonable amount of card advantage)
Fiendish Chain (it has the potential to bait out a Pandemic, or just use it on Ophion's Summon)
Breakthrough Skill (negate Ophion's effect on its Summon to search an "Infestation" card, then use its secondary effect on your turn so you can still Summon Level 5+ monsters and swing over it)

The majority of cards on this list are rather self-explanatory. If you need clarification with any of the cards, simply just look them up; their effects should be rather obvious as to why they're decent picks against that deck.

Do you guys have any cards that could potentially cripple these decks that I didn't name? If so, just comment below about said card. You know what they say; the more the merrier!

Anyways, that about wraps it up for this week. I hope you guys got some ideas about cards that could be useful this format against the "Top 4" decks of the format. Tune in next week for a new article! Very Happy

-MorphGuy1000

Last edited by MorphGuy1000 on Fri Jun 07, 2013 4:21 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
HolyLobsters
VIP
VIP
HolyLobsters

ADA Points : 10

PostSubject: Re: MorphGuy1000: Combating the Meta   MorphGuy1000: Combating the Meta EmptyThu Jun 06, 2013 10:30 am

Please include Imperial Iron Wall for spellbooks, with it up, they lack real destructive force. It takes away all of their protection and destruction. Droll & Lock Bird NEEDS to be mentioned. It stops both of those decks.

Also Chaos Hunter is a nifty side for dragon rulers.
A funny side is DNA surgery on spellbooks, it's just funny to see half of their cards not work.

Compulsory is becoming a staple, due to the maindecked Imperial Iron Walls. also a 1 card out to Dracossack. (Fun fact, with imperial iron wall up, Bottomless and Dimensional Prison are rendered useless. Bottomless will not destroy under imperial.)
Back to top Go down
*Judgment Dragon*
Abandoned Dark
Abandoned Dark
*Judgment Dragon*

DN name : *Judgment Dragon*
ADA Points : 787

PostSubject: Re: MorphGuy1000: Combating the Meta   MorphGuy1000: Combating the Meta EmptyThu Jun 06, 2013 10:34 pm

D.D. Crow in each one of them?
Back to top Go down
dark magician 85
Admin
Admin
dark magician 85

DN name : dark magician 85
ADA Points : 19

PostSubject: Re: MorphGuy1000: Combating the Meta   MorphGuy1000: Combating the Meta EmptyFri Jun 07, 2013 1:52 am

I feel like the new "c" card which I believe is shiny "c" will be an amazing side deck card against e drags. As well, Trifort the 28 butt that ss himself from Lord of Tachyon Galaxy. For spellbooks I also personnally like Spell Vanishing as its a counter trap AND you get the view the deck and hand for those copies. Use it on judgment day and or master and they essentially are slowed down. I also like shaodw-imprisnoning mirror against evilswarm. Also a card you have forgotten is Mind Drain for all 4. It is deffinatly viable against Mermails and E drags. Prophecy, it shuts down the priestess ss and for Evilswarm, Mandragora and the multiple hand traps they are running. Also Tower of Babel and Curse of Darkness for spellbooks because it burns them bad so they cannot go plus. These are deffinatly side deck cards you forgot.
Back to top Go down
MorphGuy1000
Teacher
Teacher
MorphGuy1000

DN name : MorphGuy1000
ADA Points : 62

PostSubject: Re: MorphGuy1000: Combating the Meta   MorphGuy1000: Combating the Meta EmptyFri Jun 07, 2013 4:11 am

Thanks for the suggestions guys Very Happy

Like I already stated, the list is subject to grow; it's nearly impossible to address every single card that could work against those decks.
Back to top Go down
Why arent I banned?
Abandoned Dark
Abandoned Dark

DN name : SON GOKU!!!
ADA Points : 196

PostSubject: Re: MorphGuy1000: Combating the Meta   MorphGuy1000: Combating the Meta EmptyFri Jun 07, 2013 4:17 am

I like droll & lock bird personally, shuts down hand advantage and deck searching (and drawing).
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: MorphGuy1000: Combating the Meta   MorphGuy1000: Combating the Meta Empty

Back to top Go down

MorphGuy1000: Combating the Meta
Page 1 of 1